Thursday, February 19, 2009

Communicating

It's so fun that Stian is really starting to communicate with us using words. His vocab continues to grow. Yesterday as we were leaving school and walking through the parking lot he was saying "car! car! car!" And then he said "bi!" I turned around, and sure enough there was a guy riding past on a bike. I don't know how Stian learned that word. We do call his little trike thingy his bike, and we do read "Duck on a Bike" regularly, but I still thought it was pretty good that he figured out that what that guy was riding was the same thing as his trike or as in the pictures. And then he said "bu!" I looked and indeed there was a bus going past. Again, I've told him a couple of times what a bus is as one drives past, but not very often.

This morning as I was dropping him off at school I was chatting with the director and she said his language ability is just amazing, that he speaks better than most of the kids in the classroom up from his.

Of course, he still can't walk...

1 comment:

laurafingerson said...

Isn't it amazing that Stian can see a bike in a book, and translate that to seeing an actual person riding an actual bike and know it is the same thing? Those sorts of things astonish me. Our brains are just amazing. Go Stian! And hooray for Duck on a Bike! ;)