Monday, April 16, 2012

Independent

Silje has an independent streak. I think that is part of what surprises me and makes me think she is so smart. Like when she tries to wipe her own face, or put on her own socks and shoes, or wipe herself during a diaper change. I do think she's smart from knowing what to do, but I also am surprised that she wants to do them. Stian is not an independent child. We really never went though the phases where he would demand to do things on his own. Even now he much prefers us to do things for him. I think he'll be 16 before he gets himself dressed in the morning. He just isn't interested in doing it.

But I suspect Silje will be different. Even today at lunch she was pretty much insisting she feed herself. I had to guide her hand to her mouth, but she had to have her hand on the spoon trying or she got mad. Then she decided she needed to help squeeze the food out of the tube too.

As an aside - I make about half of Silje's food - they have lots of really great organic options these days though, so I'm lazier than I was with Stian. Although I just don't seem to have the time these days either. She's also on purees a lot longer than Stian was. She still has no teeth, so that might be part of it. But when we have given her something more chunky she has gagged and thrown up, so we're taking it very slow.




And then just a bonus picture of the cowgirl.




And of Stian who insisted I take a picture of him too.


2 comments:

Lipsett Lake said...

They are both SOOO special in their own ways. They will turn into their own people -- and they will hopefull be a close brother and sister as well. I am amazed watching them grow.

Love you all

Jayhawk Country said...

I think part of the independence is a girl thing... I'm telling you boys were born lazy! Audra, now 2, listens, follows directions, & is WAY more independent than her two older brothers, 7 & 8! Her favorite phrase is, "I do it by self!". Just you wait til she can voice that adamant opinion :-) Love to all!