Thursday, June 12, 2008

Bambi!

I looked out the window earler this afternoon and saw this under our hickory tree out back:



He/she's all alone (let's just say she), no mama in sight. So I was worried about her. She was looking around, so I knew she was still alive. I called the wildlife care people in the area and they called me back. They said she's probably fine. When they are tiny like this they have no scent, so predators can't easily find them. But the mama does have scent, so she stays away to lure predators away from the baby. They said she will likely be back. But she may leave her there for 24 hours. They said to call back if she starts wondering around and crying, if her head is bent back at a weird angle (?!) or if there seem to be lots of flies on her. Okay... So let's hope mama comes back soon because I'm worried about her!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh - she's so adorable. That's a great picture!! I'll bet mom isn't far away and they will both be gone by morning. But enjoy her while you can! Have the dogs discovered her yet?

Anonymous said...

My in-laws had the same thing happen to them at their place in Crawfordsville. The wildlife folks gave them the same advice, and less than 12 hours later Bambi was gone - hopefully back with mom!