Monday, February 14, 2011

Balance Bike

Just in the last day or two Stian has gotten really good at riding his balance bike. We've had nice weather finally that melted off the snow and ice covered road so he's been able to get out there and practice. I'm really amazed at how good he is. I was skeptical of the whole idea of balance bikes, but now I believe! The idea is to get them to learn balance before dealing with the pedals on the bike, and then they can move to a two-wheeler while skipping the training wheels. I'll be interested to see when he'll be up on a two-wheeler. We borrowed this balance bike from a woman Kris works with, and she said her boys were on two-wheelers a month or so after they got the hang of the balance bike. Fortunately she has a two-wheeler we can borrow too. So we shall see!

Here he is riding on our neighbor Susan's driveway. He likes to go up and down the road and up and down Susan's driveway on one side, and Dave's on the other. They're gone for the winter, so they don't care. He also really likes to ride his bike into the snow, as you'll see. I'm not sure how much snow we're going to have by the end of the week though.

He can coast and balance even further than in the video, but I had to pick a shortish video to upload. It's quite cool. And he thinks it's awfully neat that he can keep up with Daddy on his bike now. His trike was too slow!

3 comments:

Jamie said...

So cute! I hope that Jack gets better on his bike this spring/summer. Right now he seems afraid of it. lol

laurafingerson said...

Super cool! The parents I know who have them have loved them. I wish we could have used them since they seem so neat and I love the idea of skipping the trike and training wheels bit. Lucky you that your roads are clear for biking!

Grandma Loftus said...

Just wondering -- how does he stop when he doesn't have snow to run into?