Monday, April 21, 2008

Adventures in Cloth

So I've been thinking about doing this for awhile, but I finally decided to make the leap and buy some cloth diapers for Stian. They are a little intimidating, but they are better for him, better for the environment and better for my pocketbook. Although these things are not cheap - they are more expensive up front. But theoretically they can save you $1000 in the long run - even including the cost of washing and drying them. And that makes sense as right now it costs us about $20 for a 11-12 day supply of disposable diapers. So they are not cheap either.

Cloth diapers have come a long way since Kris and I were in them. They still make the traditional ones, of course, but they make all different kinds now. I bought Stian 5 different cloth diapers to try out. One is an all in one - and it's basically just like a disposable. The other four are pocket diapers. They are like a disposable, but they have a pocket that you stick absorbent material into. They are nice because you can vary your level of absorbency, but they are more work because you actually have to stick the material in there. But with all-in-ones and pocket diapers you don't need a cover like we needed when we were little.

So here is Stian in his 5 different cloth diapers. Aren't they cute?



They make ones called fitteds too, which is what I think I will try next. They look sort of like the ones above, but you do need a cover for them. They are typically cheaper though, and you can make your own covers (you can also buy them), including knitted ones, which I'd like to try.

So far it's going well. But he has only been in each diaper once. But we had no leaks or other issues. They are in the wash at the moment though, so we will see how that goes!

And just because I'm a mean Mom, here's a picture of Stian in his cloth diaper this afternoon and his leg warmers I knit him. :) Can't you just hear Kris saying "poor little guy!"?



Aren't they cute? They are all the rage these days. But Stian has such fat little legs (as you can see the pics above) that the ones you buy are kind of tight on him. So I made him some - although these don't stay up all that well either - I guess I need stretchier yarn.

3 comments:

laurafingerson said...

Wow, you GO with the cloth diapers! We really considered doing that, even with the twins. I am super impressed! It would be so much nicer on his bum and on the environment (assuming you are washing them yourself). Go Jeni!

And too funny about the legwarmers....!

laurafingerson said...

I have to add that I love the composite photo of Stian in all the different diapers! That is awesome! Both my girls loved it, too.

I am really curious about how all the different diapers are going -- let us know! Especially re the blowouts.... I am so excited that you are going for cloth!

Anonymous said...

Welcome to the world of cloth! We exclusively CD for my son, and baby #2 will be in cloth from day 1. They are so much fun!