Sunday, August 28, 2011

Goin' to the zoo, zoo, zoo...

Today is my birthday, and I decided I wanted to spend the day at the Indianapolis Zoo. It had been quite awhile since we had been there last, and I thought it would be a fun way to spend the day. The weather was absolutely perfect for a trip to the zoo.



Stian wanted to go see the sharks right away. He is both fascinated by and terrified of sharks lately. We had been talking about the shark exhibit and how you could pet the sharks, and he really wanted to see that. He did like looking at them, but was not at all interested in petting one. Neither was I. Kris wasn't either, but he was a good sport and stuck his hand in the water and pet one. Stian and I were talking before bed tonight about his favorite thing at the zoo today, and he said it was Daddy petting the shark.





They have a new tiger exhibity at the zoo. We kept hearing ads for it on the radio when we were sitting in the NICU all those many hours with Silje. It was pretty neat. When we first went up to it the tigers were just lying around in the grass, not terribly close to the glass. But suddenly one hopped up and came trotting over and came right up to the window. As the ads told us over and over, there is only a pane of glass between you and the tiger. Kris and Stian were right up at the glass. I was standing back aways, and it was interesting to see Stian's reaction. When the tiger came trotting rather quickly right over to him his eyes got huge and he jumped back. I guess those are instincts at work. Incidentally, I kind of think the tiger came over to eat the rather cute, chubby little two year old girl who was standing next to Stian.













Stian has a real knack for finding the most disgusting thing on a menu and getting it. The few times we've taken him out for ice cream he's ordered things that make me shudder - like cotton candy flavored ice cream and bubble gum flavored ice cream. And today he skipped over the normal ice cream treats like ice cream sandwich, or drumsitck, or Klondike bar, and selected this rather nasty looking Sponge Bob popsicle. Kris took a picture for Grandpa Skjervold, he figured he'd appreciate a Sponge Bob popsicle.



It was a very nice day. A good way to spend my birthday.

4 comments:

Carol Rickenbrode said...

Happy Birthday, Jeni!! Sounds and looks like you picked the perfect way to spend your birthday. Love all those great pictures!

Grandma Loftus said...

I'm glad you had a nice birthday -- what could be better than having fun with people you love doing things you all enjoy.

Happy Birthday to my beautiful daughter!

Love, Mom

Melanie said...

What a great way to spend your birthday! We love the Indy Zoo. We saw the tiger exhibit the weekend it opened. I am glad you had such a great time and I love the pictures.

Melanie (Melnzai-pg.org)

laurafingerson said...

Too funny about Stian finding the grossest thing on the menu! Pretty impressive! ;)

HAPPY, HAPPY, HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!